Alexander Seal

70.51 Bartlett

When SW9 335 arrived in January 1954, the last 2-8-2 in standby helper duty was shipped to Waterville, totally dieselising the Mountain Sub. Barlett closed in 1958.

Freight Shed

In the fall of 1958, the Bartlett freight shed was modified and became the freight office until 1962 when the Agent's position was abolished. Thereafter it served as headquarters for a Track Supervisor, a Track Welder and a Car Repair Man. Elwood Dinsmore held the position for years. He traveled the entire division correcting car problems big and small.

Albany Avenue Crossing

The crossing had to be flagged by the train crew between 7:30 am and 5:30 pm.

Upper Yard

-

Bartlett Roundhouse

Originally six stalls, it was built by the Portland & Ogdensburg, the MEC predecessor in 1887. The turntable was too small to handle the four Alco-built 2-6-6-2 Mallets that arrived from the B&M in 1911 and 1912 so the turntable was removed and the wye at Albany Ave. was completed. Two stalls on the left were removed in 1950 and after Bartlett closed as a terminal in 1958, the building was sold to the state and used for Highway Dept. salt and sand storage. A preservation effort is under way for the historical structure by the Bartlett Roundhouse Preservaton Society. It will soon be added to the listing of State of New Hampshire Historical Places.

Bibliography

Melvin, G. (2009). Trackside Around New Hampshire 1950-1970 With Ben English, Jr.. Scotch Plains, NJ: Morning Sun Books, p.108.